One question that comes up over and over is what to stock up on. There are a million help sites out there, blogs, etc, and you’ll find a ton of the same items appearing over and over. So to save you some surfing of site after site, I figured I’d compile a list of the most popular items people said they found useful after WLS.
- A heating pad. This comes up all the time from patients; it helps move painful gas out of your gut.
- A huggable pillow to hold up to your abdomen when sitting up, or coughing. I found this super adorable “I Heart Guts” pillow I’m totally in love with!
Get it here from Amazon
- Sugar free items such as jello, popsicles, crystal light, fudge pops, etc.
- Broth and thin broth-based soups
- Gas-x, either strips or chewable
- All the vitamins that your doctor wants you to take…please follow his/her advice on this!
- A set of measuring cups…or two…you’ll be measuring EVERYTHING for a while! Find something fun/funky that will make you smile every time you need to go measure your meal (Find this set here)
- unsweet protein supplements, such as Unjury soup flavor, or Proti Diet
- A shaker bottle to make protein supplements, or use as a water bottle….this super hero one makes drinking a bit more fun :
- Low sugar yogurts, ricotta cheese, unsweetened applesauce, sugar free pudding
- Extra pillows to sleep propped up. Some people suggest sleeping in a recliner, which is what I did my first week home…laying flat was just too painful.
- That favorite book on your reading list and the remote within easy reach with a full Netflix Que.
- Last, but not least, protein powder. Now, some will tell you to “stock up”. However, I’ve talked to soooo many people with the same story…”I bought a big container at Sam’s and now can’t stand it…”. Please, if you can, stock up on individual packets, different flavors and variety packets. Your tastes WILL change and you WILL get sick of one flavor. Here is a couple of sample packets available on Ebay.
Please comment and add your favorite or must-have after your surgery!